electrical bike Be a part of us for a experience on the refreshed bike lane alongside East Marginal Means S!
Driving southbound alongside East Marginal Means S – see the refreshed bike lane on the best!
We made environment friendly, important enhancements to make individuals biking safer and extra predictable to drivers in each instructions alongside East Marginal Means S between Spokane St and S Atlantic St.
As we make progress on our long-term tasks – such because the East Marginal Way S Corridor Improvement Project – we continue to make immediate improvements to mitigate the influence of the West Seattle Excessive-Rise Bridge closure on you and your neighbors and make it safer and simpler for everybody strolling, biking, and driving to get round.
- These adjustments assist us all attain our Reconnect West Seattle mode-shift targets.
- With help from us and our transportation companions, we wish to individuals in and round West Seattle to – inside their means – contemplate altering how they journey when it’s secure to return to typical journey habits.
- A technique we help that is by making it simpler and safer to experience bikes. Our collective purpose for the way individuals get round in 2021 throughout peak commute hours contains a further 940 individuals switching from driving to driving bikes.
On East Marginal Means S, we refreshed bike lane and driveway markings and changed Tuff Posts alongside the bike lanes – each northbound and southbound.
These vital enhancements are alongside 1.3 miles of bike lanes between Spokane St and S Atlantic St.
“This protected bike lane serves as an vital connection between West Seattle and downtown. Whereas we plan for bigger enhancements alongside East Marginal Means S, pursuing interim enhancements for this protected bike lane made sense immediately.”
Venu Nemani, Visitors Operations Supervisor
Right here’s what we did over the previous few weeks:
We refreshed the bike lane and driveway markings, which make individuals biking extra seen and predictable to drivers.
A driveway marking is a security factor that alerts each individuals driving and biking to the “battle zone” – the overlap between the bike lane and the driveway path.
We changed the Tuff Posts within the buffer space between the bike lane and driving lane. These versatile, sturdy posts visibly separate bicycles and drivers on the avenue, and have reflective marking that’s seen at evening.
We plan to come back again to this space with extra security enhancements sooner or later.
We’re at the moment designing plans for the East Marginal Way Corridor Improvements within the coming years. These designs embrace a 2-way protected bike lane on the east facet of the road between S Atlantic St and S Spokane St, with a bodily barrier to separate individuals on bikes from vehicles and vehicles. The bodily barrier is most frequently a concrete divider, however generally a landscaping strip. We’re at the moment gathering suggestions about this undertaking, and you can take an online survey through September 14.
We’re listening to you, bike neighborhood! By making bike lanes extra seen and guarded alongside these vital connection routes, we’re serving to to make biking a viable transportation choice and cut back journey by automotive.
- We’re utilizing the outcomes of the Reconnect West Seattle Survey – thanks to the over 17,000 of you who crammed it out! – to be taught and plan for what it’s worthwhile to show you how to shift your journey patterns.
- As a part of this, our Bike Network Prioritization Process goals to fill gaps in our present bike community in West Seattle so extra individuals really feel secure and empowered to bike commute, if in a position.
- This course of permits the bike neighborhood to guide and prioritize tasks to greatest mitigate the impacts of the bridge closure and detour routes.
Particularly now, individuals who dwell, work, and go to Seattle want secure, wholesome, and reasonably priced choices to get round. These refreshed protected bike lanes be a part of our different current protected bike lane tasks (like the new 4th Ave protected bike lane!) to assist individuals journey safely and effectively whereas we make progress to restore or substitute the West Seattle Bridge.