electrical bike Want a weekend journey? Scenic bike route hyperlinks Panhandle Pathway and Nickel Plate Path | Life
A brand new, 29-mile marked biking route on scenic nation roads now connects two main northern Indiana trails that run parallel to one another, each of that are about an hour’s drive south of South Bend.
The Panhandle Pathway crosses the Tippecanoe River and runs 22 miles from Winamac south to the tiny burg of Kenneth.
And the Nickel Plate Path runs 37 miles south from Rochester, with 3.4 miles of on-street route by means of a roughly halfway level in Peru and, additional south, in the end connects with the Kokomo Industrial Heritage Path into Kokomo — in all, a one-way journey of 44 miles.
Each trails have been drawing out-of-town guests, however now the brand new connector route between the 2 trails gives “extra choices” for weekend adventures and journeys, says Mike Kuepper, president of the nonprofit group that constructed and maintains the Nickel Plate.
The connector route has been within the works for just a few years.
“Till we are able to construct a non-motorized leisure path connecting the 2 trails, this on-road connector route is one of the best we are able to do,” says John Bawcum, president of the buddies group that constructed and maintains the Panhandle Pathways. “It would at the very least get folks shifting between the 2 trails. It’s a begin.”
The connector bike route runs from the southern trailhead of the Panhandle Pathway at Kenneth, goes east by means of Logansport, the place it follows scenic elements of the Eel and Wabash rivers, together with the Little Turtle Waterway Path and stops by Huston Park (restrooms and water fountain). Then the route threads its approach additional east and, after a number of miles, traces the Wabash River once more till the route lands in Peru, the place it connects with the Nickel Plate Path.
Kuepper says it’s principally flat, with just a few hills, although it’s a scenic trip by farms and woods and the rivers. It’s on county roads that typically have mild automobile site visitors.
There are indicators at each flip to level you to both the Nickel Plate or the Panhandle Pathway, relying on which path you’re headed. And there’s a map and turn-by-turn cue sheets, which you’ll discover connected to my column on-line.
With all of these miles, what in a single day adventures or lengthy day journeys are you able to think about?
Kuepper already sees folks coming 50 or extra miles to trip the Nickel Plate — from South Bend, Fort Wayne, Lafayette — together with a latest group from Chicago, a gaggle of academics from Indianapolis (the place the Monon Path can get crowded) and about 50 Amish people from the Elkhart County space who stopped him to ask for instructions by means of Peru (they had been staying in a single day someplace in Rochester).
He says you will discover motels in Peru, Rochester and Logansport. And campgrounds vary from Tippecanoe River State Park, 5 miles north of the Panhandle Pathway in Winamac, to France County Park, lower than one mile south of the path. The state campgrounds on Mississinewa Lake are about eight miles east of the Nickel Plate on roads.
Peru boasts the Circus Metropolis Museum. Logansport has the indoor Dentzel Carousel at historic Riverside Park.
Virtually all of our space trails are seeing extra use this 12 months, due to the pandemic, however these two rural trails nonetheless have a number of distance between people.
Kuepper provides, “We’ve got one thing the large cities don’t: uncrowded trails.”
The Panhandle Pathway continues to be making an attempt to hyperlink to the Tippecanoe River and France parks at its ends.
Kuepper says Peru hopes to construct a separate path by means of Peru to interchange the Nickel Plate’s on-street routes. And organizers are within the early levels of getting land, plans and cash to construct a hyperlink from the Nickel Plate to the state’s longest path, the 61-mile Cardinal Greenway by means of Muncie. It could run from Bunker Hill (close to Grissom Air Power Base) east to a different linking path in Converse, Ind. These trails would change into a part of the three,700-mile Great American Rail-Trail from coast to coast throughout the U.S., of which half is already carried out in present trails.
• Panhandle Pathway: The Winamac trailhead is at an previous practice depot at Foremost and Logan streets in downtown. Map and particulars at panhandlepathway.org.
• Nickel Plate Path: To achieve the Rochester trailhead, take Ninth Road east of downtown, then go south on Wabash. It’s simply north of Mitchell Road. Map and particulars at nickelplatetrail.org.
• Connector bike route: Indicators level the best way at every flip. Map and turn-by-turn instructions are connected to this column on-line. Additionally, discover printed instructions in a plastic field on the Panhandle Pathway trailhead in Kenneth the place the route begins. An identical field on the Nickel Plate path juncture is anticipated within the subsequent two weeks.
Impressed by water
• Dugout canoes and lore: Find out how dugout canoes had been traditionally produced from the bark of elm timber in a free workshop that can be each dwell from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday on the Syracuse Neighborhood Heart, within the Syracuse Neighborhood Heart, 1013 N. Lengthy St., Syracuse, Ind., and on-line through Zoom. It will likely be led by Erik Vosteen, who’s constructed a number of dugout canoes and has been educating about watercraft of the prehistoric Nice Lakes space for greater than a decade. Additionally, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday, find out about “Prehistoric weapons, instruments and adornments of Native People” from Jim Bickel and Michelle Edington, who will deliver greater than 200 artifacts from their a few years of amassing and finding out. And from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Sunday, Trevor Tipton will speak about “Legends, Lore and Legacies of Northeast Indiana Natives,” after which there can be an indication of flintknapping. For extra data and tips on how to take part on-line through Zoom, go to syracusemuseum.org.
• East Race finale: Two days are left of the whitewater rafting season on South Bend’s East Race Water Approach. Raft from midday to 4 p.m. on Sunday and Sept. 13. Price is $6 for one trip, $10 for 2 and $15 for 3. E book them at eastracewaterway.gr8.com. You will need to put on rubber-soled footwear with heel straps.
• Boat Church: Tri Lakes Neighborhood Church will maintain its closing on-water church service of the season on Sunday, the place people float in on no matter sort of boat on Lengthy Lake east of Union, Mich. The half-hour service and music, now in its eighth season, is led from a ship starting at about 9 a.m. in “lake time.” The boat ramp is at 69887 Sundown Blvd., 2.2 miles east of Union. Flip south on Sundown from U.S.12 and go 1 / 4 mile to a slim filth highway on the left that results in the ramp. Parking is hard. On the water, head south (proper) by means of the slim curve to the center bay, the place boats will collect to the northeast.
• Survey for trails, and many others.: Take a 10- to 15-minute on-line survey in order that the Indiana Division of Transportation might help native communities to plan for lively transportation like trails, sidewalks, bike routes, bus transit stops and pedestrian crossings. Fill out the survey by Sept. 16 with a link to it on this column on-line.
• Seaside reopens: The Lake Michigan seashore at Michigan Metropolis’s Washington Park has reopened however just for LaPorte County residents who’ve a sound 2019 or 2020 seashore sticker. Mayor Duane Parry final week softened his govt order from mid-July. Guests should put on a masks, however not if the masks will get moist otherwise you’re doing strenuous actions like jogging. The seashore is open from 10 a.m. to six p.m. CDT however with out lifeguards.
• Portage seashore: The seashore at Indiana Dunes Nationwide Park’s Portage Lakefront and Riverwalk space is closed for at the very least the following two weeks whereas crews replenish the shoreline sand with sand dredged from different websites, an effort to restore the damages of abrasion. The general public can watch the heavy gear at work from the the pavilion and in addition go to the breakwater, riverwalk, mountaineering trails and the on-site meals cease.
• Oops: The Love Biketober Fest, which received’t occur this fall, is a fundraiser for Love Creek County Park and the Bike Michiana Coalition. I mistakenly wrote final week that the occasion advantages the park and an area mountain bike group. Duh. I knew this.